NSBE Charleston supports pre-college students in the greater Charleston area and can assist in establishing a chapter. Please email us at email@example.com.
The Pre-College Initiative (PCI) program is designed to stimulate the interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, or STEM. The goal is to encourage students in grades K–12 to attend college and pursue technical degrees. Our PCI program provides activities to help students discover firsthand how engineering and technology relate to the world around them and discover the excitement of academic excellence, leadership, technical development and teamwork.
Participate in NSBE’s PCI programs by becoming a NSBE Jr member. NSBE Jr membership is available to all students in grades 3-12. Membership is only $5, but the level of exposure to engineering is priceless.
We encourage you to participate with a chapter. These chapters may be affiliated with schools, churches, or other community organizations. Find a chapter in your area now.
NSBE Jr chapter advisors who want to join NSBE should join as NSBE Professionals or NSBE Professionals Affiliate members, depending on background.
- College Admissions Preparation – Obtain materials to prepare you for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT
- Participate in technical competitions such as the Try-Math-A-Lon, MathCounts, Engineering Design Competition (Robotics-based), and the PCI Science Fair.
- Receive college application information including how to get into college, financial aid information, etc.
- Discounted Kaplan Test Prep services and materials. You can also receive a chance to win a free test prep class offered by Kaplan.
- Scholarships and Awards – Awarded to NSBE Jr. members in high school who have excelled academically and expressed an interest in pursuing a career in engineering and related fields.
- Subscription to The Bridge – the NSBE magazine that caters to pre-college students. (a $15 value)
- Discount Registrations for conferences and events including the Annual Convention/PCI Mini Conference held annually in March. Our conferences offer innovative programming designed to expose youth to science, technology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Leadership Development – Develop your leadership skills by serving in many chapter and some regional leadership roles
- Opportunity to meet other NSBE Jr. Collegiate and Alumni members from around the world who have walked in the footsteps that you intend to.
- Opportunities to be mentored and/or tutored by College Students or Technical Professionals currently working in a STEM field